Tuesday, April 1, 2008

INSOMNIAC's playlist, songs not to sleep to, levaquin

For each of the last four nights, I've been suffering from insomnia. I have not slept more than two or three hours each night and the earliest I've managed to get to sleep has been 4:00 AM. The cause for this has been unknown to me until today and though I am no stranger to sleeplessness, I have typically eased into a cycle rather than been bludgeoned by a sudden inability to sleep.

Turns out I am suffering side effects from the very strong antibiotic Levaquin, which was prescribed to me after I developed a sinus infection immediately following a run of lesser antibiotics for my ear infection the week before. So I am both relieved and incredulous. Relieved to know that I am not going crazy laying there at night thinking about the San Francisco Giants, Fyodor Dostoevsky, and presidential politics. Incredulous that the happy people pictured on the www.levaquin.com website don't look like they are suffering at all, in fact, it looks like their lives have been enhanced by the "Powerful once a day bacterial killer." Thanks a lot, Ortho-McNeil-Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc.

here are ten songs that are good for listening when you can't sleep:

"3 Speed" by Eels
a moving song that questions both faith and gender yet one that's also strangely comforting; both audacious and humble in a way that only E can deliver.

"Lump Sum" by Bon Iver
currently one of my favorite songs, gorgeous harmonies, understated beat, crazy good

"Transatlanticism" by Death Cab for Cutie
"I need you so much closer"

"In the Sun" by Joseph Arthur
Always a good choice

"Happy Birthday" by The Innocence Mission
Amelia's favorite band

"Heretics" by Andrew Bird
"All I Need is You" by United Live
"Open Your Eyes" by Snow Patrol
"All I Need" by Radiohead
"Come thou Fount of Every Blessing" by Sufjan Stevens

No comments: