Thursday, May 8, 2008

bixby canyon bridge

This morning, as I peddled my bike faster than usual on my way to a day at the office that promises to be busier/more hectic than usual, I felt that peculiar sense of place and time that can descend when one hears the perfect song at the perfect time. For me that song was "Bixby Canoyon Bridge" by Death Cab for Cutie from their new record Narrow Stairs (out next week 5/13). It's been a tense week for me, getting ready to go on vacation, doing an interview for the paper, practicing for Friday's show, writing a column for the bohemian-alien, designing banners and cards, putting together a Mission Team for June's launch, and hopefully finishing a term paper before class this afternoon. That tension is nicely reflected in the song, which opens as melodic, beautiful, and sad as any song the band has done before and then eventually lurches towards a noisy, chaotic climax that is still pretty darn hum-able. Kind of like life these days.
Tomorrow's the big return to Kuppajoe. We're supposed to go on at 9:45 or 10:00 but if you can come out early to check out the other bands, Amoeba Defense and Kinship. I'm stoked to see both of them so you better believe I'll be there early. Here's the flyer I did for the show. No time for links but you can find stuff if you look hard.

No comments: