Wednesday, July 23, 2008

the starline, the sky at nighttime, circles and circles

Last night I ventured out into the unseasonably temperate Fresno night to see Circles and Circles
at the band's one year birthday party show, put on by Love, the Captive.

I quite enjoyed myself, not only were Circles and Circles very good, think post-apocalyptic-era Death Cab for Cutie meets the BSS presents solo records from Brendan Canning and Kevin Drew, but I also thoroughly enjoyed Aspen Hollow and The Ready Aim Fire.

The RAF were plagued by lighting and sound issues, as were Circles and Circles, plus vocalist Dave Trautz vocals were shrouded in the most-intense reverb since My Morning Jacket recorded it's first record. In spite of all that, they were energetic, spunky, entertaining and the songs were of the variety of Vagrant-records-circa 1999 post-punk that you just don't hear these days. Also, they had some nice synthesizers and they cop to being influenced by Counting Crows on their website. In fact, I liked them so much that I bought the record, Strong Enough from iTunes.

Upon hearing it twice, I still really like them, however, I am wondering if there is some happy middle ground between the live insano-verb and the relatively dry vocals on the record?

here's a great video by circles and circles, a great fresno band already and only one year into existence.

No comments: