Monday, May 26, 2008

keith giles quote

My friend, Keith Giles, wrote this in the Subversive Underground, in an article about the recent Evangelical Manifesto. The best thing about Keith, is that he really walks out what he talks. The guy pastors a church called The Mission, doesn't take a salary and every cent they collect (from tithes and offerings) goes to the poor.They don't even use it to buy paper goods or snacks.

"The reason why Christianity in America is toxic to most people is that those who are called to be representatives of Jesus have done a terrible job. This is why I cannot bring myself to be indentified as a "Christian" to someone outside the Church. They hear that term and they equate me with the big-haired, money-hungry, gay-bashing, waiting-for-the-rapture brand of Believer. That is not who I am. That is not the Jesus I follow."

1 comment:

Raffi Shahinian said...

I had to do it. Andrew’s call at TSK compelled me.

THE POST-EVANGELICAL MANIFESTO is now up and awaiting comment, criticism, or, more probably, to be blown out of the water.

Grace and Peace,
Raffi Shahinian
Parables of a Prodigal World