Thursday, September 24, 2009

Ryan Adams Inspirational, God is not a White Man, Church Music, Happiness

As much as I am a sucker for everything Ryan Adams releases, this morning I bought his two recent PAX-AM digital singles. Maybe secretly, or not so secretly, I wish I could be as intentionally eccentric and hilarious myself as when he posts:

"Thanks for making Pax Am the number one Ryan Adams merch site online. We would hunt anyone else down though.

Did you have a rad summer? Good. If you said no, never worry, Pax Am is here. We are gonna fill your fall and winter up with vinyl, digital singles, and t shirts you don't need.

Stay tuned for videos, free tracks, and our digi-singles. Subscribers get first dibs on rare vinyl.

Remember, purchasing the buck 49 singles is a way to keep FOGGY TV on the air, but it is not necessary to view the weekly content.This is my label and my internet disco dream.

Make it real you jerks.

Worship me."

Clearly, I don't worship him. It's unlikely that's what the man really intends anyway. However, the word reminded me that most of the time, the music that is most influential to me is not overtly spiritual or released by the people who release for-profit Christian music. Two notable examples though have been stuck on repeat for me these last few months, Michael Gungor's joyous song "White Man" and David Crowder's just-released brilliant album Church Music. "Oh Happiness" from that album, is pure Japanese-fizzy-synth excellence and a really hard song not to hum . Expect it at The Five soon.



1 comment:

justin said...

no u2 post yet? c'mon